Go to All Attorney FAQs

As an out-of-state attorney with an Illinois license, what are my options?

You may qualify for an exemption from the Illinois MCLE requirements if you have a law license from another MCLE state and your primary office in that same state (if no office, the primary home in that same state). If you qualify, you must report that exemption timely to the MCLE Board to avoid a fee and eventual removal from the master roll of attorneys.   

If you do not qualify for an exemption, you need to earn the required credits and report timely. The MCLE Rules offer various options to earn those credits.  Click here for more details on these options.

To locate this FAQ again, enter this FAQ number in the search FAQ box: A705.