Go to All Attorney FAQs

How do I claim CLE credit for researching and writing a qualifying legal scholarly work and add it to My MCLE list of reported credits?

To claim CLE credit for writing and researching a qualifying legal scholarly work, you must report it to the MCLE Board by adding it to your My MCLE list of reported credits. When adding the credit to your record, you have the option to request that the Commission on Professionalism approve all or a portion of the CLE credit for Illinois professional responsibility (PR) credit.

To add this type of credit to your record, login to the MCLE Board's website here, then click the “I want to...” drop down menu in the upper right corner, and select “Add Credits”. Then choose to add "Non-traditional credit" on the next page. On the following page, select the Published Legal Scholarly Work and follow the steps to input the requested information.  During the process you will need to upload a copy of the publication you authored. If the publication exceeds 10 pages, please upload the publication's cover page, table of contents (if any), and 10 pages that represent your qualifying research and writing.  After completing the submission process, your CLE credit from this activity will appear on your My MCLE list of reported credits.

Keep records of the time you spent researching and writing a qualifying legal scholarly work for three years after the reporting period in which you claimed the credit ends. You will need to provide these records to the MCLE Board in the event of an audit.

To locate this FAQ again, enter this FAQ number in the search FAQ box: A835.